In 2016 Sgt. Fred Jones became a RITE Certified Trainer. In March 2019 he delivered an outstanding TedTalk that hit home for all who watched it. We re-posted the article from 2019 below, and added some of Fred’s Video’s you’ll want to share.
After using what he learned in our 2-day Trainer’s class (Emotional Intelligence, Empathy Communication, and many lessons using Tools like the RITE Ladder and New Day), Fred told us his life had changed forever, and delivered a powerful message in his TedTalk.
Retired to Civilian
In August 2023, Lt. Jones retired to civilian life, after a 26-year career… but not without leaving the profession better then he found it.
Fred’s TedTalk on Reducing Use of Force with Emotional Intelligence has reached hundreds of thousands of people… and counting!.
Fred Jones – TEDxEustis 2019
Sgt. Fred Jones brings a unique perspective to the conversation regarding use of force by law enforcement. An advocate for emotional intelligence training, Jones makes a passionate and reasoned plea for empathy and training for law enforcement officers.
Fred’s responsibility also includes being the agency’s Crisis Intervention Training Coordinator, working with LifeStream to train his and other agencies in de-escalation techniques.
Fred has also trained the sworn members of his agency in the Human Diversity Training titled Racial Intelligence Training and Engagement.
Everyone should watch his impactful TedTalk… which has had 94,399 views since Feb 28, 2019!
Original Post: March 3, 2019
RITE Police Training Makes TEDx
What an honor to have our good friend and RITE Trainer, Sgt. Jones present at Tedx, in February of 2019. Sgt. Fred Jones, PIO and Internal Affairs Supervisor of Lake County Sheriff’s Office, gave an amazing Talk in Eustis, Florida, on how RITE’s Racial Intelligence Training can help many officers reduce Use of Force.
“Get out of the car… or I will GET you out of the car!”
The TED Talk you’re about to watch, is directed at Officers of every age, skin color, race, rank, and gender. Law enforcement can either escalate use of force, or learn this Secret to de-escalate.
Fred Jones, a RITE Training instructor, taught RITE Training to the entire department Lake County Sheriff’s Office, including Road patrol, Correction, and Dispatchers. Since that training the Lake County Sheriff’s Office has seen first-hand the impact that training has made within their agency:
- 50% reduction in police complaints
- 60% reduction in use of force
Quotes / Timing from Fred’s TedTalk
- 8:48 Officers LOVE this training
- 11:09 What if the officers are trained in Emotional Intelligence?
- 12:13 Officers carry excessive emotional baggage
- 13:15 Lack of Emotional Intelligence, and an officer’s behavior
- 13:35 Emotional Intelligence Training, how we treat ourselves
- 14:30 We are a better agency because of this training
- 14:45 Every agency should train officers on Emotional Intelligence
- 15:15 … use their voice, and instead of force.
About RITE Officer Training – It starts with helping officers communicate with themselves, and others more effectively. The RITE Ladder Tool teaches EI & SI that builds Career resiliency, improves Department morale, helps officers deal with PTSD, mitigates risk, and much more.
Fred Jones Media
RITE Academy Stats, 2015 to 2023
- Trained over 1200 agencies on Emotional Intelligence Well-Being
- Created over 950 RITE train-the-trainers
- Gave out more than 550,000 RITE Tools for employees
- Provided hundreds of newsletters for agencies to give to their sworn and non-sworn officers
- Helped agencies reduce their use-of-force incidents by 65%
Contact us below