- This event has passed.
PTSD – The Silent Killer and Risk Monster: JUL 22, 2019 (Southgate, MI)
July 22, 2019
Chief Brett Selby and the Southgate Police Department is the host site for this Class. The location is 5 miles from Detroit Metro airport. MCOLES Certified. This one-day training is OPEN to all Public Service Professionals.
PTSD occurs after direct exposure to or witnessing of a traumatic event, learning about the accidental or violent death of a close relative or friend, or through repeated or extreme exposure to aversive details of traumatic events.
- Intrusion symptoms
- Avoidance symptoms
- Negative alterations in cognitions and mood
- Alterations in arousal and reactivity
PTSD – The Silent Killer and Risk Monster
Not recognizing PTSD developments in your personnel can be a real ‘risk monster’ waiting to hit your department with an unexpected event exposing a costly liability. This class will help you identify symptoms of PTSD, provide proactive techniques, Emotional Intelligence awareness, and help mitigate risk.
The importance of officer wellness and PTSD awareness is often overlooked. What is covered in this class:
- PTSD – Silent Killer for Law Enforcement Officers
- Signs and Symptoms of PTSD
- PTSD Effects, Influences, and Severity – PTSD Levels
- PTSD Self Awareness and Behavioral Self Control
- Trigger points and Triggers of PTSD
- PTSD Sense and Sensibility
- Emotional Intelligence Exercises for PTSD
- PTSD Flashbacks – Recognizing your own Influences
- PTSD Effects on Police – Rapid Decision-Making Events and Use of Force
- Types of Treatments for PTSD
- The Risk Monster – Failure to Train on PTSD Awareness
- Coaching and Mentorship, Empathy Communication and Conflict Management Styles
- Department Proactiveness and Education
- Living Everyday with PTSD – Beyond the Badge
- Suicides – The last Code of Silence
- PTSD Success Stories
- PTSD Post Retirement
RITE Academy created this important class, combining components of Emotional and Social Intelligence. This training provides an understanding of Emotional Intelligence (EI) and Social Intelligence (SI) that helps the person, the department, and the community they serve.
Why Recognizing PTSD Matters
1. An overall understanding of the PTSD can help recognize responses in others around you. Example: Seeing a PTSD symptom (like exaggerated startle response) will on a certain call.
2. Knowing the symptoms of PTSD can help identify other issues. Example: If a person appears to be hearing voices and is not having a flashback to the traumatic event, then this symptom might indicate a disorder, such as schizophrenia.
3. Assist officers and others with PTSD. If you recognize symptoms as potentially being indicative of PTSD, you may be able to help them get connected with services using a crisis line, PTSD programs, or counseling resources.
Goals and Objectives:
- Improves PTSD Sense and Sensibility (at work and home)
- Builds PTSD Awareness and Action for your Officers
- Enhances Proactive Leadership within the agency
- Learning how to use EI and SI tools, Yourself and others
- Emotional Intelligence and Mindfulness
- PTSD miscommunication and awareness – The 3-EI approach
- Improving Employee Wellness – Keys to Officer Resiliency
- Next steps – for yourself, your officers, your agency
RITE in the Media:
TEDx on RITE – Use of Voice not Force by Sgt Jones
CBS 8 Selma, Alabama DOC – the missing link to officer training
Fox 19 News – Middletown officers train in Racial Intelligence
PTSD causes Officer suicide rate to Rise – LE, DOC, Fire
Officers Police themselves back up LADDER https://goo.gl/VBRdjm
Racial Intelligence Training at Notre Dame College www.goo.gl/bGOKJX
Community Policing is climbing above the burden of Hate www.goo.gl/DG6sSI –
2-minute Videos from various RITE Classes:[huge_it_videogallery id=”2″]
Southgate Police Department
14700 Reaume Parkway
Southgate, MI 48195
Chief Brett Selby
Attendees can park adjacent to the 14700 building anywhere
8:00 – 8:15 am Registration, Coffee, Networking
8:15 – 11:45 am Morning session
11:45 – 12:45 pm Lunch Break
12:45 – 4:00 pm Afternoon session
Per person fee includes the RITE materials, hand-outs, trainer and classroom fees, coffee and light breakfast, water and refreshments.
If you are unable to attend your scheduled class, please email us. You may reschedule for another RITE Training, if at least 14 days before the start date of your scheduled class. Failure to do so, will result in full charge of the course.
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Southgate
13333 Heritage Center
Southgate, MI 48195